Did you ever tried fishing in your kayak or canoe and had the tough task of paddling when kayak fishing? It is not just a tiring task, but will also prove mechanically demanding, and extra movement will scare off fish in this process. So, to solve this issue, you must install trolling kayak motor on your canoe or kayak, or another alternative will be the pedal-powered kayak.
Electric trolling motors help to move fishing boats quietly and slowly through the water that will not scare away the fish. They’re separately sold from boats and come with various features and price rates.
Trolling motors are generally sold in 12 volts, 24 volts & 36 volts. The larger trolling motors have a higher voltage that means higher power for their propeller. They require electricity to work and trolling motors need one battery that isn’t used by the boat’s engine.
When you are shopping for the trolling motors for kayak, you must check boat shaft length. Suppose the motor’s propeller does not reach the water, then there is no luck. Ensure you measure it first. Ensure the motor has adequate thrust to move the boat, particularly if many people are on a fishing expedition.
What’s a Trolling Motor?
An electric trolling motor for a kayak is a boat motor made to move a vessel in the shallow waters, and keep it against the current if you do not want to deploy anchor or to propel this quietly to stop spooking off fish. Also, this kind of motor is preferred by freshwater anglers fishing, though saltwater motors are available in the market easily.
Features to Check Out When Buying Trolling Motor
With the above things in mind, buying the top trolling motor for a kayak must not be tough. But, you must check out the following functions before you buy. When selecting the top trolling motor, you may face certain difficulties to find the best one. There’re different factors to consider when buying your most desired trolling motor.
- Self-directional functions: When steering is done rightly, some trolling motors have got GPS & self-directional functions responsible for steering and controlling the course. Such models can be a bit costly but will save you from lots of hassle, particularly if you are a professional angler.
- Battery indicator: The speed and capacity of a battery will decide the runtime, it is always better to check out how much power is left. The best kayak trolling motor batteries have got LED indicator lights, which can allow you to know when you must get back to shore.
- 12, 24, and 36-Volt: Generally, ‘yak’ motors come in 12-volt –for large ones too. But, you can see a 24-volt motor on the kayak so fisherman will have more time on the water. Besides, I will not recommend using 36-volt that can be a bit too big for a vessel this size.
- Steering: There are some trolling motors that have to handle to use for steering, and some have the foot pedal, whereas the latest models feature remote controls. Many anglers prefer models with manual steering, however, if you want to keep hands free, a foot pedal and remote control can save a day.
- Weight: Weight is one issue in the kayak, so you will have to keep this in mind. With battery, mount, and trolling motor, you will have to keep the maximum capacity of the kayak in mind. You will have to make sure that stern rides above water! For such reason, the lighter motors will be a good choice.
- Thrust: Most beginner anglers think that having the trolling motor with higher thrust means that their kayak can travel much faster than one providing less thrust. It isn’t always a case, but it is good to go for more amount of thrust in case you are using the larger and heavier kayak than the lightweight and compact model. The speed capability of a trolling motor is tied to the propeller pitch.
- Ergonomics: Don’t underestimate how simple to use & steer trolling motor is. Certain models come with adjustable and telescopic handles that are simple and highly comfortable to use.
- Speeds: Best trolling motors for kayak have 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds. This particular feature allows you to switch between the higher moving speed and longer runtime, as per your circumstances.
5 Best Trolling Motors for Kayaks
1. Minn Kota Endura Transom Mount Trolling Motor
Known for dependable performance, the Minn Kota Endura Transom trolling motors for kayak are the first choice for many anglers. Endura Transom motors are made with a quality design that you may completely trust. Minn Endura motors deliver cool power and have large windings & commutators, which dissipate heat. Kota’s unique motor bearing system lowers friction to prevent fish-spooking noise.
The best part is Minn Kota Endura motors for kayak comes with 5 forward speeds & 3 reverse and also has steering with telescoping tiller handle. When navigating towards “honey hole”, Kota’s Power Prop provides lots of thrusts to go over heavy vegetation.
- The telescoping tiller handle can extend to 6 inches for the convenient operation
- Power Prop delivers high thrust
- Composite shaft made to flex & not break
- Large windings & commutators dissipate heat
- Amazing battery life
- Short shaft
- Excellent build quality
- Very Lightweight
- Made for freshwater
2. Watersnake – ASP 18 and 24 Pound Thrust 12V Saltwater Trolling Motor
Watersnake ASP 18 and 24 Saltwater Motors are very lightweight and compact 12V motors, planned for powering the small vessels, which includes canoes, kayaks, smaller pontoons, inflatables, and the same boats. If you are looking for portability and lightweight, then this motor weighs just 4.85 lbs and is perfect for powering canoes, kayaks, dinghies & inflatable boats, particularly if you want to carry the craft to water.
Watersnake ASP 18 and 24 models are available as transom trolling motors and feature the optional kayak bracket. Watersnake ASP 18 and 24 trolling motors feature a similar design, differing in thrust, color, and current – both the units are 12 Volts electric motors made for freshwater & saltwater use.
- Five forward speeds & two reverse
- Strong and simple design
- Versatile bow mount
- The Three-blade propeller is a weedless design.
- Simple installation
- Very lightweight
- Extendable handle
- Low consumption of power
- Low cost
- One year warranty
- Lightweight make
- Design flaw with the mounting bracket
- Two-speed settings
3. NV Series 36lb Thrust Electric Trolling Motor
NV Series 36lb Motor is the best transom-mount electric trolling motor for kayak and smaller watercraft, offering you a higher run-time without even sacrificing on its performance and quality. This all-purpose and versatile trolling motor by the Newport Vessels is made with quality materials and the newest design concepts that ensure longer use.
With 30inch adjustable shaft length, NV Series 36lb thrust motor can fit different types of the inflatable boats, rowboats, skiffs, canoes, kayaks, bass boats, and Jon boats. This flexible eight-speed motor control system gives a smooth ride in modifiable speed increments. This 36 lb thrust motor comes with 2 blade propeller for optimal compatibility & power conservation. This mount motor is made to get powered by a 12volt Deep Cycle battery and a Marine battery.
- Two Blade Propeller Kit
- 36lb Thrust Motor
- NV Series Manual
- 40Amp Circuit Breaker
- Adapt to fresh & saltwater easily
- This moves through the water
- Quiet mechanism
- Has strong and durable build
- Good performance for its price
- Used on different boat types
- User friendly
- Variable speed switch that increases/decreases its speed unexpectedly
4. PEXMOR Electric Trolling Motor
The Pexmor trolling motor for a kayak is one amazing device. When you attach this to the boat’s stern and bow, the boat will move silently on the water surface. Thus, you can enjoy productive fishing. The PEXMOR electric motor is made with quality saltwater-resistant materials that will ensure a long lifespan. Comes well-equipped with the reinforced Nylon Bracket, durable aluminum head, and fiberglass composite shaft that will ensure the stability of driving & machine corrosion resistance.
It is a perfect fit for Inflatable Boats, Kayak, Pontoon Fishing Boat, Jon boat, Wood Boat & more. It’s the right choice if you are looking for a quality electric motor and boat to go surfing with friends and families or fishing. The Pexmor motor’s handle is quite long to allow you easily select the perfect length to work. Its grip is comfortable to ensure easy operation and also allows you to control its speed with the variable speed settings. Besides, you can take 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds and that makes the control straightforward.
- Motor 24V r
- 6 inch, telescoping
- Variable speed
- Battery indicator 1 to 10 LED
- The thrust of 46lb
- Adjustable telescoping handle
- Resistant to the saltwater corrosion
- Variable speed control
- LED light battery
- Amazing thrust variation
- Adjustable depth
- The battery is not much strong
- Sensitive throttle
5. AQUOS Haswing Cayman Bow Mount Electric Trolling Motor
Haswing is known for developing products for serious fishermen who want to guide their electric motors with versatile hand and foot control. The Haswing Cayman Bow Trolling Motor is made with comfort and sophistication in mind. It’s a most versatile electric motor, which comes with a wireless hand remote & foot pedal.
With one touch of fingertips, now you can enjoy using the motor at a different level through its wireless control. You will find controlling very simple. It’s made with durable stainless steel that provides the best service possible. With the features like 3 bladed propellor & variable speed settings, the motor performs really well. You can count on the high thrust for delivering the best performance.
- The thrust of 55 lbs
- Wireless Control
- Noiseless Operation
- Display three levels of the battery power
- Variable Speed
- Variable adjustment setting
- Wireless control accessible
- Perfect for freshwater & saltwater
- Quality shaft material
- Longevity & noiseless operation
- Made with the shock-resistant propellor
- Battery life is short
It depends on your needs. Many people drive on their muscle power. However, we like having motorized kayaking as it opens up different possibilities for you. Especially, for kayak anglers, such equipment is practical since it makes it simple to reach the right fishing spot.
It is simple to mount the trolling motor on a kayak but you may usually need the mount to attach this to that you can buy or make, till your yak has the motor mount.
It depends upon the power you are using to move over the water. Higher the power needed, less will be run time. This will depend on amp hours of a battery and amp draw. And to calculate this, you can divide amps drawn by amp hours.
A trolling motor for kayak is the best thing to invest in. It is fast to install and simple to operate. The repair and maintenance tasks are kept within limits. But, many of the motors available are made for the boats & oversized to be used as kayak motors.
The hunt for a suitable model isn’t always simple. I hope this guide has helped you find the best trolling motors for a kayak. It appears like many people are making use of kayaks for fishing that means a higher number of people now are starting to look for the motor for kayaks to go to their best fishing spots.